As part of the 2015-16 Budget, the Australian Government announced the development of an Integrated Plan for Carer Support Services (ICSS). ICSS is being developed to reflect the Australian Government’s priorities for carers, and outlines actions to recognise, support and sustain the vital work of unpaid carers.
Stage one of the Plan, Carer Gateway, commenced in December 2015, and offers a website and phone service to help carers access practical information and resources to help them in their caring role.
Stage two of the Plan focused on an extensive two year process to design a proposed new carer service system with the carer sector and carers, and included public consultation.
Carers SA submitted their tender to be the regional delivery partner for South Australia in February 2019. We are yet to hear if we have been successful in securing a grant as yet.
To be able to provide as update to date information as possible, the following is what Carers SA know from Government.
- The Regional Delivery Partners (new bodies providing services to carers under ICSS) commence services from 30th September 2019.
- Organisations with existing funding won’t be providing services to any new carers from 30th September 2019
- Carers will be assessed and receive Services they are eligible for through the Regional Delivery Partners from 30th September 2019.
- The Carer Gateway www.carergateway.gov.au is the major entry point to the new services.
- Online Services have been operating and available to carers since 1st July 2019.
- The Carer Gateway number, 1800 422 737, is active now and will be the only number for carers from 30th September. This number will direct carers to the Regional Delivery Partner operating in their area just as the current Advisory line and Commonwealth Respite Centre numbers do now.
If you have any queries as a carer or service provider please contact Carers SA on 1800 242 636.